Saturday, May 15, 2010

Shadows

I thought shadows were cast when light hit an object in its way. Apparently not. I also thought we were stuck with one shadow that followed us around. . . Also wrong. I not only have one shadow, but two. They are not only out when it is light, but also in the middle of the night, jolting me out of bed, on the couch, at the park, inside, outside . . . pretty much anywhere I am, there they are. I never realized just how pleasant and annoying shadows could be. On the one hand, it is such an amazing feeling knowing that little shadows want to follow you around, do everything your doing, but at the same time, that 'alone' feeling is something rarely witnessed any more. Sometimes I just want to be alone without my shadows. However, if I am alone without them too long, then I start to miss them. Such a vicious cycle. For now I will try to cherish my little shadows while they are still around but also tuck them in at night and set few brief hours aside without them.

Shadow stories. . .
Emily came out of her room this morning wearing a fancy black sweater and a suede red skirt (literally looked like a Christmas outfit). I had it in her bottom drawer to grow into for next Christmas. Anyway. . . she came out and said, I have my workout clothes on. I am going to work out because I am crazy. She also said she was wearing black, so she was pretty. The only reason she said she had her workout clothes on was because I had put my workout clothes on the day before to go to Zumba. I wonder if she even knows what working out is. She is such a cutie and makes me laugh daily.

I took Emily to school with me the other day to get a few things done (non-school hours). She was pretending to type on the computer next to me. When I told her it was time to go she said, "Mom, I just have to finish checking my e-mail." That was the first time that phrase ever came out of her mouth. Such a different world she is growing up in than I did. I thought I was growing up in a technology generation, but it is only going to get more technological.

Ariana is now holding the phone up to my ear and hers pretending to 'talk' on the phone. She is also attempting to comb the few hairs she does have. It is so funny watching them pick up the things I do.

1 comment:

  1. i Love this analogy :) so cute! give those shadows kisses from Aunt Annie!!!

    ReplyDelete